This meal just sort of came to be unintentionally after throwing a bunch of vegetables into my cart at Trader Joe’s with no real vision of what I might do with them. But when I got home, I had a couple of ideas, and this meal is what came out of that. I made a lot of it so I’d have it for the week, and every time I ate it, I just thought, like–wow, this is really good! And I was so excited about it that I wanted to share…
What the meal consists of…
- 1 bag of shredded carrots
- 1 bag shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jar grilled artichokes
- 3 lemons
- Coconut oil and olive oil (I don’t usually mix cooking oils within meals, but I simply forgot that I wanted to use olive oil for this meal and began with coconut—it all turned out deliciously
- Minced garlic in olive oil
- Spices used: black pepper, lemon pepper, sea salt, McCormick’s Tuscan blend, basil, parsley
What you do with all of it…
- Cook quinoa according to your package’s directions and add 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil while cooking. I also usually add a bit more water than directed to my quinoa (and rice) at the end of its cooking time to keep it fluffy, but that’s totally you’re call.
- In large pot, heat coconut oil (enough to coat bottom of pot generously) on low heat with about ½ teaspoon of minced garlic. Once oil and pan are hot and garlic is browning, add entire bag of shredded carrots. Then, add basil, lemon pepper, and salt.
- After 2-3 minutes, add entire bag of shredded green cabbage. Add Tuscan seasoning blend. This mixture should not be completely coated in oil—it should be pretty dry and on a low heat to more or less steam it with the seasonings.
- For the chicken, I put all the pieces into a bowl and squeezed the three lemons over them. I started heating the pan with olive oil and whatever oil I had leftover (because I had a bit of a heavy hand), I poured out and into the bowl with the chicken. I then seasoned the pieces with salt, pepper, basil, and a little bit of parsley. Cook each of the chicken breasts in the heated pan—medium-ish heat.
- I had totally forgotten about my onion until this point, so I chopped it up, and sautéed it for a few minutes over medium heat with olive oil; however, I think it would work awesomely cooked into the carrot-cabbage mixture.
- Next, I spooned some of the carrot-cabbage mixture into my Tupperware, followed by a couple tablespoons of quinoa and a couple tablespoons of the sautéed onions. I topped that with a cut up chicken breast, and finally, the winning touch, a few of the grilled artichoke hearts (I first emptied all of them out of the jar and pressed them with paper towels so they oozed oil a bit less than right out of the jar—I mean, I love oil, but I do have my limit!)
As you may notice, I don’t really measure my seasonings, oils, etc. I’ve become pretty accustomed to “eyeing it up” on the spot and taste testing as I go along. Plus, we all have different palates, so use as much or as little as is best for you and your taste buds!
Try this for yourself, or some variation of it! All ingredients are from Trader Joe’s except for the McCormick’s Tuscan blend seasoning, the minced garlic, and the chicken breasts.